What This Page Covers
The Manufacturing Growth Programme Grant Scheme
The Manufacturing Growth Programme (MGP) provides free advice and support to manufacturing SMEs to help:
- Identify opportunities and create plans for growth and improvement
- Work with the best external experts to implement those plans
- Cover up to 35% of the cost of implementing the plans through a growth/improvement grant
- Connect to wider support to maximise opportunities for growth
What the MGP means for manufacturing SMEs
If you are an SME manufacturer, the Manufacturing Growth programme provides many advantages for you, including:
- An independent business review to identify opportunities for business improvement and growth
- A detailed action plan guiding you through the process of improving your business
- Access to matched industry experts to provide consultancy and/or coaching tailored to your needs
- Access to grants to co-fund your growth/improvement project
How you can benefit
By joining the Manufacturing Support Programme, you can benefit from:
- Insight into the risks/issues and opportunities for your business, helping you better plan for the future
- Understanding of what needs to be done to make improvements x Work with new expertise to make bring about real development
- Reduced cost, helping you make the changes you need sooner
How do you get involved?
If you are a manufacturing SME interested in growing and meet the eligibility rules, get in contact with your local MGP team for a free, no-obligation Manufacturing Review and Action Scoping Session. You will then be guided through the rest of the process by a dedicated Manufacturing Growth Manager.
The Programme Detail – what you need to know about how it works and what the rules of engagement are
Who can apply?
To apply you must be:
1. An SME as defined by the EU definition. This means your company or group of companies must have:
a. Fewer than 250 employees
b. A turnover less than or equal to €50 million OR
c. A balance sheet total less than or equal to €43 million
2. A manufacturer, defined as:
“A business that engages in any economic activity directly related to a product or production process they have researched, designed or produced, or otherwise hold core intellectual property in.” If you are unsure if you meet this definition, please get in touch with your local MGP team.
3. Able to demonstrate the intention to grow/improve – (through creation of increased turnover, increased jobs and/or introduction of new products/services/processes)
Businesses operating mainly in the following sectors are unfortunately not eligible:
- fishery and aquaculture
- primary production, processing and marketing of agricultural products
- coal, steel and shipbuilding
- synthetic fibres
How much grant can be claimed and what can it be used for?
The grant is funded by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) to support the costs of working with an external expert/coach of your choice to implement a pre-agreed Growth/Improvement Action plan. An average project value of £4,000 of support would attract a 35% Grant contribution (Minimum grant applications accepted: £1000). Larger grants may be considered for exceptional cases (subject to panel approval) for projects demonstrating significant job/new product growth and higher level of applicant contribution (i.e. >65%).
The scope of the Growth/Improvement plan will be specific to each applicant’s growth needs and will be agreed in advance with our Manufacturing Growth Manager. It will typically cover:
- Expert consulting/coaching input – to analyse, recommend and support implementation of a Growth/Improvement Plan
- Associated other expenditure specifically related to achieving a Growth/ Improvement objective (e.g. small equipment, preparation for accreditation costs etc)
Grant supported Growth/Improvement projects must be completed, paid and claimed for within 4 months of grant confirmation.
SME beneficiaries are at liberty to select any consultant/coach of their choice provided they can evidence adherence to EU procurement rules requiring them to invite a minimum of 3 quotations for the work and justify value for money in their selection. Download the Manufacturing Growth Program – Interventions In Scope Document Below: